Re: RFC - Display context information using iproute2 ss utility

Thanks for clarifying the socket fd context.

For the iproute ss utility I was thinking of altering the man page to
reflect your comments (added below) and some testing I've done using
policy role/type and range transition statements.

Overall do you think it is worth adding the socket contexts to the ss utility.

-Z, --context
    Show SELinux security contexts. The context of the process using
    the socket and the sockets context will be displayed. The socket
    context is taken from the file descriptors inode and is not the
    actual socket context held by the kernel. Sockets are typically
    labeled with the context of the creating process, however the
    context shown will reflect any policy role, type and/or range
    transition rules applied, and is therefore a useful reference.

    For netlink(7) sockets the initiating process context is displayed
    as follows:

      1. If valid pid show the process context.

      2. If destination is kernel (pid = 0) show kernel initial context.

      3. If a unique identifier has been allocated by the kernel or
         netlink user, show context as "not available".
         This will generally indicate that a process has more
         than one netlink socket active.

Richard