Re: As we move to use Linux Containers User Namespace

Quoting Paul Moore (paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 06:25:05 PM Eric Paris wrote:

Note first off that you'll rarely want to check for capabilities against
yourself, because any unprivileged task can unshare a new user namespace
with his own (host) uid mapped to root in the new namespace, and pass
that test.  However, checking for capabilities against an open file (meaning
a inode_capable() check) makes sense.

> > Just to blow everyone's minds: The first thought that came to me was
> > that the only way to make this useful is to actually put a label on
> > the user namespace.
> >
> > If I create a container, and then a container inside that container,
> > I'd think selinux should be able to control the capabilities at the
> > second level down.  Dan's only asking about one level down...

(Not sure whether you mean up or down? :)

> Turtles all the way down.
>
> If we are going to do it for one level, we should do it for all levels.

Speaking in non-selinux terms, it would make sense to simply ask whether
task T1 has Capability C1 against object O1, where O1 is a task, a nic,
a file, a mountpoint, etc.  Referring to a specific user namespace by its
own label would be awkward, I believe.

I'm not sure how to put that in selinux terms, since labels will certainly
cross namespaces.

-serge