Re: avtab dense hash table

On 12/06/2013 08:51 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 12/05/2013 04:37 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
>> Thanks, But if i understand it correctly then types that have (roughly)
>> the same properties would be candidates for merger.
>
> That's correct.  Domains/types are intended to be security equivalence
> classes; all subjects that require the same accesses to the same objects
> should be in the same domain and all objects that need to be accessed
> identically by the same subjects should be in the same type.  It wasn't
> supposed to be one domain for every program executable or one type for
> every directory/file.
>
>> That could be processes (or files) with different properties ( but same
>> rules associated with them )
>>
>> That would mean that a system could end up with various different
>> processes running in the same domain (thus they can in theory affect each
>> other)
>>
>> The way i am approaching it is besides requiring types to have similar
>> properties that also the processes have similar properties
>>
>> So for example merge all web servers if the policy is roughly the same.
>>
>> My reasoning for this is that only one kind of web server runs on a
>> system at any given time (usually).
>>
>> Another example all: all irc clients in the same domain because often one
>> kind of irc client is used on a system at any given time
>
> Exactly, and if you still want to isolate the different instances from each
> other, you can use category sets more effectively for that purpose than
> needing to define separate domains/types.
>
>> I see that you are willing to take this further. If for example (stupid
>> example) a mail server would have the same properties (rules) as a web
>> server that would be a candidate for a merger. Even though the mail
>> server and the web server could run on a system at any given time. Thus
>> they could affect each other
>>
>> For android that approach would work since seandroid also associates
>> unique categories to uids but this does not apply to regular Linux
>
> Well, at least in mainline Android, we had to back off of per-app category
> sets because Android does permit direct app interactions.  But the
> category-based separation can still be applied at differing granularities,
> from per-app to per-user (Android now supports multi-user) to per-container
> (e.g. personal/business separation), based on your specific policy
> configuration.
>
>> Would you agree that a system like Fedora has different properties than a
>> system like seandroid?
>>
>> It occurs to me that Fedora is much more general purpose whereas android
>> is a phone operating system.
>
> I certainly agree that they differ, and that Android is much easier to
> construct a policy for.  That said, there does seem to be increasing
> convergence and many of the same techniques can be applied, e.g.
> category-based separation has already been effectively applied in Fedora
> for sandbox, svirt, OpenShift, and others.

> [...]

We have been doing some consolidation in Fedora.  We have combined spam tools
into a single domain spamassassin.  Might have been better to create a new
policy for this.

We have also created antivirus which combined all of the antivirus tools.

The next big one I would like to see combined are mail servers and mail
clients.  (Elimination of all the different postfix domains, would eliminate
large numbers of bugs over the years.)