Re: avtab dense hash table

On 12/05/2013 04:37 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> Thanks, But if i understand it correctly then types that have (roughly)
> the same properties would be candidates for merger.

That's correct.  Domains/types are intended to be security equivalence
classes; all subjects that require the same accesses to the same objects
should be in the same domain and all objects that need to be accessed
identically by the same subjects should be in the same type.  It wasn't
supposed to be one domain for every program executable or one type for
every directory/file.

> That could be processes (or files) with different properties ( but same
> rules associated with them )
>
> That would mean that a system could end up with various different
> processes running in the same domain (thus they can in theory affect
> each other)
>
> The way i am approaching it is besides requiring types to have similar
> properties that also the processes have similar properties
>
> So for example merge all web servers if the policy is roughly the same.
>
> My reasoning for this is that only one kind of web server runs on a
> system at any given time (usually).
>
> Another example all: all irc clients in the same domain because often
> one kind of irc client is used on a system at any given time

Exactly, and if you still want to isolate the different instances from
each other, you can use category sets more effectively for that purpose
than needing to define separate domains/types.

> I see that you are willing to take this further. If for example (stupid
> example) a mail server would have the same properties (rules) as a web
> server that would be a candidate for a merger. Even though the mail
> server and the web server could run on a system at any given time. Thus
> they could affect each other
>
> For android that approach would work since seandroid also associates
> unique categories to uids but this does not apply to regular Linux

Well, at least in mainline Android, we had to back off of per-app
category sets because Android does permit direct app interactions.  But
the category-based separation can still be applied at differing
granularities, from per-app to per-user (Android now supports
multi-user) to per-container (e.g. personal/business separation), based
on your specific policy configuration.

> Would you agree that a system like Fedora has different properties than
> a system like seandroid?
>
> It occurs to me that Fedora is much more general purpose whereas android
> is a phone operating system.

I certainly agree that they differ, and that Android is much easier to
construct a policy for.  That said, there does seem to be increasing
convergence and many of the same techniques can be applied, e.g.
category-based separation has already been effectively applied in Fedora
for sandbox, svirt, OpenShift, and others.

> I believe that there is a lot of room for improvement in reference
> policy and i am willing to do the leg work to bring some change in this
> regard. Consensus is not easy to achieve though. I could not even make
> the case for getting nginx in the apache domain.

It may be necessary to fork a separate policy, at least for a while, to
truly explore more radical surgery, and then try to gradually feed the
changes back.