Re: avc_has_perm() returns -1 even when SELinux is in permissive mode

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 15:14 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> I think we just need the userspace AVC to handle it cleanly and we'll be
> fine.   I think my patch will work, but don't have a test case offhand;

Hard for me to test on Fedora with the return 0;

setenforce 0
touch /etc/systemd/system/hello.service
chcon -t invalid_t /etc/systemd/system/hello.service
semanage permissive -a init_t  (needed so init itself can read the file)

setenforce 1
systemctl status hello.service
This shouldn't be silent, but it seems like it is, I'd have expected an
USER_AVC between my user type and the unlabeled_t...

setenforce 0
systemctl status hello.service
On Fedora this works, on others, it'll likely fail with EINVAL, (since
init will have CAP_MAC_ADMIN in permissive.)  init will be able to read
invalid_t (in enforcing it'll see unlabeled_t) and should pass that down
in the security check and get rejected/need and audit message...

-Eric