Re: avc_has_perm() returns -1 even when SELinux is in permissive mode

On Monday, October 28, 2013 02:24:35 PM Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 02:10 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

> >> I'm ok with changing avc_has_perm as long as: a) Something gets
> >> logged/audited so you'll see that something went wrong in permissive mode
> >> and not just get silent failures in enforcing mode,
> >>
> >> b) We are careful about what error conditions are remapped to 0 in
> >> permissive mode.  If we just hit a memory allocation failure, we
> >> shouldn't hide that from the caller.  It should only affect things
> >> relating to policy.
> >
> > I'm far from an expert on the SELinux userland libraries, but as far as my
> > two cents are concerned I like the idea of changing avc_has_perm() to
> > incorporate the permissive/enforcing logic.  I think asking applications
> > to worry about things like that is a step in the wrong direction.
> >
> > I also agree with Stephen's comments above: logging is important and the
> > only failures that should be ignored by avc_has_perm() are those relating
> > to access denials from policy, error conditions should propagate to the
> > caller.
>
> The only functions that can fail are the following:
>
> 		rc = avc_lookup(ssid, tsid, tclass, requested, aeref);
> 		if (rc) {
> 			rc = security_compute_av_flags_raw(ssid->ctx, tsid->ctx,
> 							   tclass, requested,
> 							   &entry.avd);
> 			if (rc)
> 				goto out;
> 			rc = avc_insert(ssid, tsid, tclass, &entry, aeref);
>

> Are we stating that we should check for EINVAL and return 0 if permissive,
> or is there some more complicated thing we should look up.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe the concern has to do with what the kernel
returns via security_compute_av_flags_raw().  I think the idea is to ensure
that non-policy related error codes returned from the kernel are not papered
over when running in permissive mode.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com