Re: SELinux performance depending on type count

On 08/07/2012 09:02, Ole Kliemann wrote:
I read on some locations (Fedora FAQ...) that there is an overall
performance impact of about 7% when running with SELinux.

Does anyone know if this impact is dependent upon the number of
types the policy has? I would assume no: A lot of types only take
up memory and caching should prevent any impact on the runtime
performance.

But if there was a performance problem with a lot of types, at
what number n would it start to hit hard? And how does it
increase (linear, quadratic...)?

And would it be better performance-wise to run a MCS-policy with
say categories c0.cn than to have types c0_t, ... cn_t?

Ole

I don't believe anyone has done recent benchmarks on SELinux overhead. However in that study the overhead mostly comes from the permission checks in the various layers of the Linux kernel. There were some issues associated with access vector cache overhead but those were fixed I believe by some contributors from Japan. The largest offender was the checks on read/write since we checked on every single call to read/write before. That was fixed so we don't do the full computation every time. We only do it on the first read/write and only recheck on policy change or label change since it invalidates our earlier check. It would be nice to see a more recent study on SELinux overhead.

Dave