Re: sepolgen requires unofficial setools patch

On 05/23/2012 02:29 PM, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On 05/23/12 13:46, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> I don't have a problem with a simpler api, e.g. a single function for
>>> rule searching, rather than the multiple calls to set up a query, but
>>> the current implementation in Fedora isn't acceptable to upstream
>>> setools. Perhaps what should be done is to add a basic query api to the
>>> SELinux userspace upstream, so that you can create all of these tools.
>>> Libqpol in setools tries to do this, but its implementation wouldn't be
>>> acceptable upstream.  Then the extra dependency of sepolgen on setools
>>> could be broken.
>>

>> What is not acceptable, the entire idea of setools.sesearch and
>> setools.seinfo or something specific about the design?  Or do you want
>> setools to just be low level calls and want us to build a new package
>> that actualy does something useful with python?
>>
>> IE Do you want us to just create a new tool called seanalyze or something
>> that includes the python bindings that we find useful.
>
> Well its up to SELinux upstream to say if they'd accept a libsequery or
> libseanalyze or augment libsepol.  In the absence of that, the issue with
> what you have is the implementation.  The preference would be to add the
> new single function query API to libapol either in the C library sources or
> in pure python using the existing swig wrappers.  It would also have to be
> a complete API (i.e. apol could be converted to use it), which is more than
> sesearch and seinfo support.

Sure and if they don't do stuff that is useful, then people will ignore
upstream and do what they want.  Implementing the C Api in python is useless.

I am not interested in reinventing sesearch and seinfo from base level
constructs in python.  I would just rather get the data into a dictionary and
then do what I want with it.

But if upstream is not interested in these tools then other downstreams loose out.