Re: RFC: packet checks always on option

On 05/15/2012 10:47 AM, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On 05/15/12 10:13, Paul Moore wrote:

>>> Not any worse than with the old networking checks.
>>
>> I believe that was Stephen's point.
>
> I'm still standing by my point which you deleted: the people who would
> care, who would likely modify their base policy anyway.  Plus, you would
> have to modify your base policy anyway to turn on the policy capability
> which would toggle this behavior (I'm assuming no distro would have this
> policycap on by default).  So I acknowledge the point as valid for the old
> behaviors, but I think the circumstances of this change make it
> non-applicable.

>>> I don't understand how you can say this doesn't accomplish anything
>>> useful.
>>
>> See my earlier comments in this thread about being able to verify the
>> correctness of the secmark labels.  This has always been my core concern
>> with your argument: you are concerned about the ability for policy to
>> control network traffic labeled via secmark, but you seem to ignore the
>> issue that there is no mechanism to verify the correctness of the secmark
>> labels.  Making strong guarantees about the ability to enforce a given
>> policy without any assurance that the labels are correct seems a bit
>> silly to me.
>
> Believe me, as a policy person, I'd never ignore labeling correctness. I
> don't
think SECMARK rule correctness has anything to do with this discussion, as this
is about the mechanism/enforcement itself.

> What do you want to do with correctness? The filesystem labeling can be
checked contexts can be checked against file_contexts, but mismatches don't
necessarily mean that the labeling is wrong. In my opinion, file_contexts should
only be used to initialize the labeling, and thats it. Afterwards, the labeling
is ruled by the relabeling rules. As long as the policy is correct and *being*
*enforced* at all times, the labels should not get into an inconsistent state.
That seems slightly optimistic...
And if you really want to be pedantic, an security admin/officer should be
verifying the labeling of objects after the system is installed, but before it
goes into production. The same applies to SECMARK rules.