Re: RFC: packet checks always on option

On Monday, May 14, 2012 08:52:29 AM Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> On 05/10/12 16:02, Paul Moore wrote:
> > Ever since secmark was introduced it has required users/admins to ensure,
> > via a secondary mechanism not contained within the SELinux policy, that
> > the netfilter/iptables configuration was both correctly matched to the
> > policy and that is was not tampered with, either maliciously or
> > accidentally.  Failure to do this verification and correctly configure
> > netfilter/iptables could result in the mis-labeling of network traffic
> > via the secmark label.
> >
> > This applies to both the current behavior and the "old" behavior.
> >
> > Simply going back to always applying the per-packet secmark access
> > controls does nothing to solve the problem of ensuring correctness.  This
> > is my main problem with your argument.
>
> I don't understand what correctness you're referring to.  Labeling
> correctness?  You always need that; thats the crux of having a proper
> running system.  But we don't stop enforcing policy if its not correct.

That last sentence is particularly interesting, but I'll avoid commentary on
it for right now ...

My concern is that for every aspect of the system that I can think of, and
feel free to correct me if I'm missing something (as I know you will), the
system's policy can enforce the (re)labeling of the subjects and objects on
the system so it has _some_ control over the assigned labels.  There are also
tools, e.g. restorecon, which can be used to verify/reset/correct the labels
on persistent filesystem objects.  With those two things you should be able to
verify the correctness of a filesystem's labels and then ensure it stays
correct.

With secmark labels we still have the ability to enforce the (re)labeling via
the system's policy, but we are missing the ability to verify/reset/correct
the label assignment.

> >> * during boot and shutdown you can guarantee no network access
> >
> > You can do this through a variety of other mechanisms that have nothing to
> > do with secmark labels.
>
> No, you can't.

Yes, you can. See "netif:{ ingress egress }".

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com