Re: RFC: packet checks always on option

On Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:58:00 PM Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> I recently became aware that the packet checks are now disabled when there
> are no SECMARK rules ...
>
> ... this behavior is "allow by default": the opposite of what SELinux stands
> for.  SELinux doesn't stop file checks if you mount an xattr filesystem that
> has no labels.  High assurance systems would actually want the old behavior
> so that networking would be denied if:
>
> * iptables rules fail to load
> * iptables rules maliciously flushed, e.g. by compromised domain that has
> net_admin

Ever since secmark was introduced it has required users/admins to ensure, via
a secondary mechanism not contained within the SELinux policy, that the
netfilter/iptables configuration was both correctly matched to the policy and
that is was not tampered with, either maliciously or accidentally.  Failure to
do this verification and correctly configure netfilter/iptables could result
in the mis-labeling of network traffic via the secmark label.

This applies to both the current behavior and the "old" behavior.

Simply going back to always applying the per-packet secmark access controls
does nothing to solve the problem of ensuring correctness.  This is my main
problem with your argument.

> * during boot and shutdown you can guarantee no network access

You can do this through a variety of other mechanisms that have nothing to do
with secmark labels.

> I think this behavior should be restored ...

I disagree.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com