Re: VirtualGL and selinux

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Mark Dalton <mdalton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was not able to get VirtualGL and selinux to work together.
> It is something during boot time it seems.  I have tried generating
> rules based on audit/audit.log.

When discussing such things it's a good idea to publish the rules you have
tried adding, then we can determine whether you are on the right track.

> The VirtualGL web http://www.virtualgl.org/Documentation/RHEL6
> states they don't know how to make it work either.
>
> I have tried in permissive mode after boot and that did not work either,
> which is why I think it is something during boot time.  Like the device
> setup. My guess is related to: /dev/dri as it sets up these and then
> access to the /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl are restricted to vglusers
> group (in my case it can be configured with/without group restriction).

Just to be clear, are you saying that it works if you boot with "enforcing=0"
on the kernel command line (permissive all the way) but fails if you boot
normally but run "setenforce 0" after booting?  If so then check whether all
necessary daemons have started correctly.

> Currently, the only known way to make|vglgenkey|work (|vglgenkey|is used
> to grant 3D X Server access to members of the|vglusers|group) is to
> disable SELinux. With SELinux enabled, the*//usr/bin/xauth/*file is
> hidden within the context of the GDM startup scripts, so|vglgenkey|has
> no way of generating or importing an xauth key
> to*//etc/opt/VirtualGL/vgl_xauth_key/*(and, for that matter, access is
> denied to*//etc/opt/VirtualGL/*as well.)

What context is vglgenkey being run from?

The policy is written to support xauth being run from an X login session (GDM
etc) and from a user login (IE you ssh to a server and run xauth at the
command line).

If you have an X login manager that runs xauth then it should run in the xdm_t
domain.  Give it the xdm_exec_t type and it should be fine.