Re: A few questions

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 10:57 -0500, David Quigley wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 10:15, Yao wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Lately I'm studying SELinux and got some questions which I want to be
> > clear.
> >
> > (1)I know SELinux is based on Flask architecture and I know where the
> > SS is, but I'm not sure
> > where the OM locates, I guess the variable "security_ops" which
> > belongs to LSM represents the OM, am I right?
> >
> > (2)the struct "selinux_ops" in file hooks.c is declared as "static",
> > why not add "const" qualifier so that
> > the it will be put in read-only data section in the kernel?
> >
> > (3)Is there any way to hack the SELinux, I mean, to disable it on the
> > fly? For example, replace the policy db with a
> > blank file so that any permission is allowed. Is it feasible?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Yao
>
> So In order.
>
> I asked (1) when I first started as well and the answer I got was the
> kernel itself is the object manager. You'll notice a bunch of security_
> calles through the kernel. These are the enforcement points which query
> the security server through the selinux specific hooks behind the LSM
> interface.

In general, the "object manager" is the component that implements the
object abstraction and operations and is responsible for enforcement of
the policy decisions.  The kernel can either be viewed as a single
object manager or as a collection of object managers (e.g. the process
management subsystem, the vfs and filesystem implementations, the
networking subsystem, the ipc subsystem, ...).  In the case of the Flask
microkernel-based OS, the various subsystems were in fact separate tasks
running on the microkernel.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency