Re: A few questions

On 03/07/2012 10:15, Yao wrote:
Hi,
Lately I'm studying SELinux and got some questions which I want to be
clear.

(1)I know SELinux is based on Flask architecture and I know where the
SS is, but I'm not sure
where the OM locates, I guess the variable "security_ops" which
belongs to LSM represents the OM, am I right?

(2)the struct "selinux_ops" in file hooks.c is declared as "static",
why not add "const" qualifier so that
the it will be put in read-only data section in the kernel?

(3)Is there any way to hack the SELinux, I mean, to disable it on the
fly? For example, replace the policy db with a
blank file so that any permission is allowed. Is it feasible?

Regards,
Yao

So In order.

I asked (1) when I first started as well and the answer I got was the kernel itself is the object manager. You'll notice a bunch of security_ calles through the kernel. These are the enforcement points which query the security server through the selinux specific hooks behind the LSM interface.

(2) I'm not sure if there is a reason not to. I don't know how this would effect runtime disabling since we unhook those functions if we are disabled.

(3) So if you're in the kernel there are techniques to disable SELinux and make it appear like it is still running. Replacing the policy db with an empty one would be the opposite of the effect you want. Since SELinux is deny by default it would give you a system with no access not all access. The MDP program in the kernel tree makes a policy with one type that has access to everything but that would be obvious and not useful. Especially when all of the domains you're programs are currently running in suddenly disappear.

Dave