Re: Suggestion on fixing a old libselinux problem.

On 02/29/2012 04:34 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 16:22 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 15:47 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the oldest bugs/wacki things about SELinux is what
>>> happens when a login program can not calculate a login
>>> context.
>>>
>>> Right now we have an open bug on confined users.  Basically if
>>> you setup a confined user guest_u and attempt to login to that
>>> user via xdm_t, you get a context of
>>> guest_u:guest_r:oddjob_mkhomedir_t:s0
>>>
>>> selinuxdefcon pwalsh system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0
>>> guest_u:guest_r:oddjob_mkhomedir_t:s0
>>>
>>> Yech.
>>>
>>> This could be considered a security hole, but it is definitely
>>> broken. I have been looking at the libselinux code but this is
>>> actually expected behavior, and I am not eager to fix it, since
>>> it might break peoples expectations.
>>>
>>> Eric suggested that we might want to move the problem out of
>>> libselinux and make this a login program problem.  Make the
>>> login programs pam_selinux a userspace manager.
>>>
>>> After libselinux returns a context to pam_selinux it would
>>> check for the following allow rule.
>>>
>>> allow logindomain userdomain:login entrypoint;
>>>
>>> Then pam_namespace would check if xdm_t is allowed a login
>>> entry point into oddjob_mkhomedir_t, if no, blow up the login.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> Last time we discussed this, I thought we agreed to migrate away
>> from the current usage of security_compute_user (/selinux/user)
>> altogether within libselinux, and replace it with a simpler
>> userspace configuration and logic for determining user roles and
>> levels.
>
> I don't think we want to introduce greater complexity and more
> possible failures causes into the mix for determining user
> contexts.  Simplest option would be to change
> get_ordered_context_list() to return the empty list / fail in that
> case rather than return the full reachable list from
> security_compute_user.  But I'd like to get rid of / replace
> security_compute_user with a solution that is mostly userspace, at
> most getting the user's authorized roles and default level
> information from selinuxfs but not asking the kernel to compute
> reachability.

Meaning we should read the contents of
/etc/selinux/TYPE/contexts/users/SELINUXUSER and get the types from
there that match the type of the login program.
If that file does not exist, then fall back to
/etc/selinux/TYPE/contexts/default_context and get the type from there.

Then just check with the kernel if LOGINTYPE_T can transition to
USERTYPE_T and choose that context. Else go to the next context.  If
no context is available to transition return failure.