Re: Suggestion on fixing a old libselinux problem.

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 15:47 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> One of the oldest bugs/wacki things about SELinux is what happens when
> a login program can not calculate a login context.
>
> Right now we have an open bug on confined users.  Basically if you
> setup a confined user guest_u and attempt to login to that user via
> xdm_t, you get a context of guest_u:guest_r:oddjob_mkhomedir_t:s0
>
> selinuxdefcon pwalsh system_u:system_r:xdm_t:s0
> guest_u:guest_r:oddjob_mkhomedir_t:s0
>
> Yech.
>
> This could be considered a security hole, but it is definitely broken.
>  I have been looking at the libselinux code but this is actually
> expected behavior, and I am not eager to fix it, since it might break
> peoples expectations.
>
> Eric suggested that we might want to move the problem out of
> libselinux and make this a login program problem.  Make the login
> programs pam_selinux a userspace manager.
>
> After libselinux returns a context to pam_selinux it would check for
> the following allow rule.
>
> allow logindomain userdomain:login entrypoint;
>
> Then pam_namespace would check if xdm_t is allowed a login entry point
> into oddjob_mkhomedir_t, if no, blow up the login.
>
> Comments?

Last time we discussed this, I thought we agreed to migrate away from
the current usage of security_compute_user (/selinux/user) altogether
within libselinux, and replace it with a simpler userspace configuration
and logic for determining user roles and levels.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency