Re: CentOS 5 RBAC

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 07:14:42PM +0100, Roy Badami wrote:
> On 31/08/2011 18:48, Dominick Grift wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 06:01:15PM +0100, Roy Badami wrote:
> >>I'm trying to understand the RBAC features in the version of the mls
> >>(and also strict) policies that ship with CentOS 5.6 - I'm not sure
> >>if this is the best place to ask or if there's a more appropriate
> >>list.
> >refpolicy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx is more appropriate.
>
> Thanks - I'll bear that one in mind.
> >
> >When you build mls policy you get a seperate secadm role when you build strict policy then sysadm role also has the capabilities that secadm role in mls has.
>
> Yes, so looks like it does makes sense for me to use the mls policy
> in that case.  Unfortunately in the mls policy on el5 it appears
> that both sysadm_r and secadm_r can both administer security.
> secadm_r is preveneted from performing other systems administration,
> but unfortunately sysadm_r is not prevented from changint the
> selinux policy, etc.  This wasn't how I was hoping it would work :-(
>

> >well whether the modules are installed (semodule -l | grep secadm) that i guess would be defined manually in the modules.conf for strict. if the secadm module is installed then it could be that the role is just not mapped to staff_u unless policy is mls ( see above: users file snippet)
> Ah, I'd been trying to figure out how to verify what modules really
> were present in the loaded binary policy - that's very useful,
> thanks!  As as your other pointers to bits of the policy.

Well its just an indicator. Some ( core? ) modules are compiled in a single base module, which isnt listed in semodule -l. In a perfect world that would be only about 10 modules or so ( the ones in the kernel layer ) however people have been using the base module as a refuge to hide their broken policy ;)

So most modules should be listed with semodule -l, only few arent listed because they are in base. Which modules exactly are in base is harder to tell. ( you could download the policy source rpm. extract it and look into the enclosed modules-mls.conf file. grep -i it for base. (example: kernel = base)