Re: SELinux policy regarding LD_LIBRARY_PATH

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 15:39 +0200, Aaron Sowry wrote:
> > However, the behavior you are seeing might not be related to SELinux, as
> > Linux also enables AT_SECURE if the uid or gid changes across execve (to
> > be precise, if the effective identity is not equal to the real identity
> > after the credential change, as this was the legacy logic from libc).
>
> So if I understand correctly, SELinux expands on AT_SECURE to sanitize
> environment variables across context changes instead of just
> setgid/setuid. Makes sense; you live and learn.
>
> In this case I believe it was SELinux performing the sanitization as
> disabling it solved the problem, but this is helpful to know.

Just to clarify, we introduced AT_SECURE for SELinux.  Prior to SELinux,
userspace directly used AT_EUID/AT_UID and AT_EGID/AT_GID to decide
whether to sanitize the environment.  When we wanted a similar mechanism
for SELinux, Roland McGrath suggested that we create an AT_SECURE flag
that could be set by the kernel whenever a security-relevant change has
taken place, and then rework userspace to use that flag when present.
Thus we have a more general mechanism today that can be used for
setuid/setgid, capability changes, SELinux security context transitions,
or any other security module.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency