Re: "netstat -Z" reimplementation

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 17:28 +0800, Rongqing Li wrote:
> SELinux folks, Stephen:
>
> I have some thoughts about reimplementation of 'netstat -Z', but I do
> not know if it is valuable, or if there are other risks. Could you
> evaluate my implementation, or give me your valuable advice?
>
> 1. From kernel, print the socket labels to tcp, udp, raw, unix
> files under /proc/net/.
>
> Now the /proc/net/tcp /proc/net/udp ... include many socket's
> information, like local address, remote address, inode, I think we can
> put the socket's security context to these files.
>
> To avoid to expose these information to non-privileged users, security
> checking should be done when expose the socket security context to procfs.

We can already control the ability to read /proc/net files by labeling
them via genfscon statements and then writing policy accordingly.  Do we
think exposing the (raw) security context is any more of a concern than
the rest of the information in the file?

Can we add a field to those files without breaking compatibility with
existing userspace?

> 2. reimplementation the "netstat -Z", "netstat -Z" will first parse the
> security context from procfs's tcp, udp, raw files, and get the security
> context, if this step fails, "netstat -Z" will try as legacy method.

It should only fall back to the legacy method if the context is not
present in the file; if there is any other reason for failure (e.g.
permission denied to /proc/net/tcp), then we presumably want netstat -Z
to fail rather than report a possibly incorrect result.

> If this implementation could be accepted by mainstream, netstat could
> print the correct socket label even if the type_transition has been
> happen on socket, or application changes socket labels by setting
> /proc/self/attr/sockcreate.
>

> Do you think it is valuable?

Yes, I think it would be useful.

--