Re: Bumping Version Numbers

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 11:30 -0400, Steve Lawrence wrote:
> A while ago ago we discussed bumping the minor version number and
> resetting the revision version number when we do a release [1]. We are
> now preparing for a release and wanted some feedback before we bumped
> the version numbers.
>
> We're thinking of only bumping minor version numbers if the revision
> version number is non-zero.
>
> So the version numbers will become:
>
> checkpolicy-2.1.0
> libselinux-2.1.0
> libsepol-2.1.0
> libsemanage-2.1.0
> policycoreutils-2.1.0
> sepolgen-1.1.0
>
> We could alternatively always bump minor version numbers even if the
> revision number was zero (i.e. no changes since the last release). This
> has the advantange that all releases share the same version number. If
> we do that, it might make sense to bump sepolgen to 2.1.0 this release
> as well, unless there is some significance between 1.x and 2.x with
> sepolgen.
>
> Thoughts?

The latter approach is akin to what we used to do when we released the
entire SELinux userspace as a single tarball with a single (date-based)
version.  The separate versions were introduced when we started
releasing each component individually in support of distribution
packaging (originally for Fedora).  As long as the distributions
continue to package them separately, I doubt they want a single version
number across them all, as that obscures when a change has occurred to
the individual component and likely will yield unnecessary updates.
Ideally you shouldn't even generate a new tarball if there are no
changes since the last release as that will break checking that their
package sources are pristine.

sepolgen was first introduced when the other components were bumped to
2.x.  It isn't packaged separately in Fedora (bundled into
policycoreutils-python), although it is packaged separately in Debian
and Ubuntu.  If you want to bump it to 2.1.0 for this release just so
that they are all in the 2.x series, I don't really care (and nothing
should break), but it doesn't need to be the same as the others.

One thing that we aren't doing that would be useful would be to
introduce a version script (.map file) for libselinux and maintain it to
ensure proper interface compatibility.  Also to be better about managing
the libsepol and libsemanage .map files, introducing new version nodes
when we add new interfaces.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency