Re: As we move to systemd, we are loosing some functionality from init scripts.

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 13:45 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 07/13/2011 01:20 PM, Matthew Ife wrote:
> > I dont think that will work. According to my strace systemd performs
> > the work completely on behalf of the user when calling systemctl.
> >
> > It might be more elegant to solve the problem in software.. ideally
> > with some selinux object manager for systemd that systemctl can be
> > intercepted with.
> >
> > Say classes of target and service and permissions like start, stop
> > reload, restart etc.
> >
> > That could take a while to implement though.
> >
> Right, I was thinking of something simpler, Have systemd become an
> object manager but only have it check the services file.  That way we
> just put a label on the services file and have systemd check if the user
> context is allowed to "PROCESS" "EXECUTE" or some other access method on
> the services file.

Don't reuse the kernel classes/permissions please.  I know we've done
that in e.g. crond in the past, but it conflates their purpose; define
new classes/perms for this purpose instead.  Also be sure to use the
newer interfaces for userspace object managers ala XSELinux so that you
use dynamic class/perm mapping.  We still need the older userspace
object managers to be updated in that regard.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency