Re: libselinux version bump past 99

On 11-03-16 12:07 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:04 -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

>>> As I understand it, the .so version should only be changed upon an
>>> incompatible ABI change, not upon implementation changes or compatible
>> Sure, and the above error message clearly indicates that
>> this has not been done in the past.   So as I'd hinted at,
>> the question then becomes when to start implementing
>> it, if people agree it makes sense to do what every other
>> library does.
>>
>> The simplest answer seems to be to align it upon the
>> Leaving it hard coded at 1 forever just seems misleading,
>> and causes errors like the one I showed above.
> That's not an ABI change.  The application interface to libsepol did not
> change.

Well you folks are the maintainers in the end and it is your call.

As an end user, the above message didn't really hit home with
me what the underlying issue was, and when I got rid of the
stale libraries, the incompatibility issue was gone.   Whether
it is an ABI change or any other kind of incompatibility is just
going to seem like splitting hairs to the person who can't make
their system work.

I hope you are open to taking advantage of the library version
number in the future, when the opportunity arises.

Thanks,
Paul.