Re: libselinux version bump past 99

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 19:26 -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> On 11-03-08 05:26 PM, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> > Libselinux has reached version 2.0.99 and I need to push a bug fix, just checking to make sure 2.0.100 is fine and won't cause any problems e.g. with upgrades.
> >

> On a related note, is there a reason why the shared objects don't
> track a similar versioning number?    We came across a situation
> where an internal update added a new dir for libs.   But note the
> shared objects are hard coded to version 1,  and the old selinux
> libs just happened to be found 1st.   Which leads to a cryptic
> internal selinux error message like this:
>
> "libsepol.policydb_read: policydb module version 10 does not
> match my version range 4-8"
>
> Granted, this may not be a common problem, but the solution that
> came to me was to simply let the normal ld.so dynamic library
> versioning do its job in determining which bins need which libs;
> something that it is remarkably good at.  :)

As I understand it, the .so version should only be changed upon an
incompatible ABI change, not upon implementation changes or compatible
ABI changes.  And per-symbol versioning seems to be preferred these
days, as per:
http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

See libsemanage.map for an example.

But the question of what policy version is supported by a given release
of libsepol has nothing to do with its ABI.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency