Re: SELinux role separation

Okay,

We aren't using any desktop right now. this system is a headless server.

As for how important... Well if you ask me, (the sysadmin), I would say not very. But alas it is not up to me. I will have to get the customer (Govt) to tell me how much they need this. Perhaps I can get them to wait until 6.1 comes out since they are thinking of a hardware refresh anyhow.

My current policy skills are probably insufficient to the task of making the policy you described. I can use audit2allow pretty well tho... :)

Thanks,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/20/2011 08:45 AM, Qwyjibo Jones wrote:
> Sorry, one more question...
>
> Does the MLS policy shipped with RHEL 6 have the separation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> On 01/19/2011 04:44 PM, Qwyjibo Jones wrote:
>> I don't seem to have the "allow_sysadm_manage_security" boolean. Do I
>> need to create it somehow and put it under /selinux/booleans ?
>
>> # getsebool -a | grep allow_sysadm_manage_security
>> # getsebool -a | grep allow_sysadm
>> # getsebool -a | grep sysadm
>> allow_httpd_sysadm_script_anon_write --> off
>> ssh_sysadm_login --> off
>> staff_read_sysadm_file --> off
>> xdm_sysadm_login --> off
>

>> Thanks,
>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> <mailto:dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>
>> On 01/18/2011 01:03 PM, Qwyjibo Jones wrote:
>
>>> I am currently working with an Itanium2 system which has RHEL 5.3 MLS
>>> installed.
>>> I am trying to understand how separation of roles works in
> SELinux/MLS
>>> policy version 21. We have been told that we need to separate
>> roles that
>>> the sys admin is no longer allowed to do.
>
>>> After reading through these threads, in the archives I am still
>>> wondering about a couple things:
>

> http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/list-archive/0504/thread_body66.shtml#11082
>
>>> And this one:
>

> http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/list-archive/0802/thread_body60.shtml
>
>>> 1) Is the RHEL 5.x MLS policy version 21 capable of the following
>>> separation of sysadm_r and secadm_r roles:
>
>>>    a) Can the secadm_r role be the only role that can assign
> roles via
>>> semanage?
>
>>>    c) Can the secadm_r role be the only role that can control
>> files used
>>> in auditing, like auditd.conf. audit.rules, /etc/init.d/auditd etc...
>
>> auditadm_r:auditadm_t is only allowed to modify these files.
>
>>> 2) Is this better accomplished with a combination of SUDO and
> SELinux?
>> Since sysadm_t can hack his way around the SELinux controls via tools
>> like rpm and fdisk, you are better off using sudo to further restrict
>> his actions, if possible.
>>> 3) How can I determine what secadm_r can do in the current
>>> configuration? can any of the CLI tools show me that? ( no gui tools
>>> available )
>
>> You probably want to look at secadm_t
>
>> sesearch -A -t secadm_t
>
>>> If not, what about RHEL 6 ? ( I understand RHEL 6 is not available to
>>> Itanium systems, but we may have new hardware soon)
>
>>> Any tips. hints, pointers etc... would be very helpfull.
>
>>> Thanks for your time,
>
> Oops I misread the policy,  I guess we abandoned the separation.
>

>                ifdef(`enable_mls',`
>
>  userdom_security_administrator(secadm_t,secadm_r,{
> [...]
One idea would be to build the separation into a separate module
sysadm_secadm.pp then you could disable this module and take away the
power of sysadm to do security administration. How important is this?