Re: analysing optional policy

On 11/30/10 13:11, James Carter wrote:

>> This may not be applicable here but do double check the module. I have
>> experienced similar issues where optional policy blocks were not loaded,
>> without any errors shown.
>
> Not being defined is not an error in an optional block, it just means
> the optional block is not to be used.
>
> It is expected that there will be a lot of unused optional blocks if
> only some modules are being used.  Reporting everything not defined
> would not be helpful in this case.
>
> This behavior of silently removing optional blocks can, however, cause
> real errors to be missed.

At first I was going to suggest an extra-verbose or a debug mode on the
toolchain to help on this, but I suspect that identifying the block in a
useful fashion wouldn't be possible.  When resolving the blocks, is
there even any reference to the module it comes from?  Beyond that,
there probably aren't line numbers either, so it couldn't have messages
like "block disabled: optional beginning on line 123 from foo.pp."

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC