Re: Enable selinux in SLES 11

>>> yeah open suse 11.2 Oops... as for any other advice, what Stephan had
>>> posted for you is probably the right info to go through.. just dont be
>>> afraid to ask questions..
>>>
>>> Justin P. Mattock
>>>
>>> Justin P. Mattock
>>>
>> Unfortunately it doesn't work. I've done all steps described in here:
>> http://thetoms-random-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/12/selinux-on-opensuse-111.html
>> but this doesn't seems to work for sles 11.
>> Anybody out there, who was able to run selinux on sles 11?
>> I've got some other questions?
>>    * what happens if the policy is not found? what would sestatus
>> report?
>>    * are there some good debug options for selinux? logs? any other
>> hints?
>> (dmesg shows nothing related to selinux)
>>
>> best regards
>> Imsand

Thank you for your answer.
Now I'm one step further :)
SELinux will now be loaded during startup. YEAH!!!
But now it has a problem with the installed policy. I get this error:
-----
SELinux: Could not open policy file <=
/etc/selinux/refpolicy-standard/policy/policy.23: No such file or
directory
Unable to load SELinux Policy. Machine is in enforcing mode. halting now.
-----

It is looking for a version 23 policy. but the installed one is
/etc/selinux/refpolicy-standard/policy/policy.24.

Simply renaming policy.24 to policy.23 doesn't work.
----
SELinux: policydb version 24 does not match my version range 15-23
SELinux: Could not load policy file
/etc/selinux/refpolicy-standard/policy/policy.23: Invalid argument.
----

Based on this error I have some questions:
1) It seems that SELinux is looking for a binary policy. Are there only
monolithic policies allowed? Or how can I use the newer modular policies?

2) Is there a possibility to converting version 24 policies to version 23?
Or do I have to search a version 23 policy for sles 11?

3) How can I upgrade sles 11 so that is accepts version 24 policies? Which
parts or library are responsible for the version-check?

4) The policies from tresys seems to have an other format than the one
from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/SELinux/openSUSE_Factory
that I've installed. (It is not simply a binary file?!?)

Here are some more information based on your guidance:
> hmm.. well if they have the SELinux packages from sles then thats a good
> indication that theres support..
>
> some things need to be checked though:
>
> 1) if sles already has the SELinux packages then you already have
> libselinux.so, libsepol, etc... if not, then download the SELinux
> userspace package and install it(gives you all the tools and libraries
> needed to use SELinux)
installed by standard repository. This is okey!

> 2) is SELinux enabled in the kernel?(if not either build a vanilla and
> check "y" under security options for SELinux, or grab an already built
> rpm)
yes it is.
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE=0
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DISABLE=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_AVC_STATS=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE=1
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_ENABLE_SECMARK_DEFAULT=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_POLICYDB_VERSION_MAX is not set

> 2) sysvinit needs to have the init_load_policy() patch added to it in
> order for the policy to be loaded at boot.(if using upstart theres a
> patch as well, or proceedured to load_policy)
seems to be.

> 3) grab the latest refpolicy from tresys and install it.
> (or use the rpm that sles has(if it has one)

used this:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/SELinux/openSUSE_Factory/noarch/selinux-policy-refpolicy-standard-2.20081210-13.1.noarch.rpm
This installs a /etc/selinux/config which points to refpolicy-standard
which was created in /etc/selinux/refpolicy-standard/policy.24