Re: ima-appraisal: CAP_MAC_ADMIN w/SELinux

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 08:17 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Stephen Smalley (sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> > > With CAP_SYS_ADMIN, root is able to write xattrs, but restorecond is
> > > still having problems:
> > >
> > > type=1400 audit(1280268030.225:709): avc:  denied  { sys_admin } for
> > > pid=1004 comm="restorecon" capability=21
> > > scontext=system_u:system_r:setfiles_t:s0
> > > tcontext=system_u:system_r:setfiles_t:s0 tclass=capability
> > >
> > > Mimi
> >
> > Why would restorecon/setfiles be setting the IMA attributes?
> > Did you modify the application to do this?
>
> I haven't seen it, but assumed that she did in fact modify the apps to
> update the measurements...  And if that's the case, then perhaps a new
> CAP_INTEGRITY_VIOLATE capability is appropriate after all.

Can someone clarify exactly how the security.ima attribute is supposed
to be initialized and maintained over time?  And likewise for
security.evm.  linux-ima.sourceforge.net and the patches left me with
the impression that it is handled internally by the kernel
(ima_appraise=fix followed by find / ...).  Has that changed?

If you are taking the initialization of the attributes to userspace,
then rpm seems a better target than setfiles/restorecon.  Even for the
SELinux attribute, it is usually initialized by rpm these days as part
of package install - setfiles/restorecon is only used as a fallback when
things go wrong or you switch from selinux-disabled to selinux-enabled
after install.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency