Re: Benchmarking

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 20:49 -0400, Paul Otheim wrote:
> Most of the benchmarking figures I have seen or heard of consistently
> say that, depending on what your doing, the average performance hit
> when running SELinux is about 5 to 7 percent. My question is if anyone
> has benchmarked with no DAC and SELinux only for permissions checks.
> What, if any, is the performance gain? Can I get that seven percent
> back? I know its not a strict SELinux question but I don't know of any
> other place to ask such a thing.

There isn't any way to disable DAC checking in the kernel.

The /selinux/avc files may be helpful in examining and adjusting the
behavior of the Access Vector Cache (AVC), which was designed to
minimize the performance overhead of SELinux.  See:
http://james-morris.livejournal.com/2153.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/selinux-guide/rhlcommon-section-0102.html

--
Stephen Smalley