Re: Life cycle process for building products with selinux

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Alan Rouse wrote:

> - Software development:  Where in the software development cycle do you
> introduce selinux?  Should application developers have to develop on a
> system confined by selinux?  Is selinux policy maintenance a software
> development task, or a separate phase in the development cycle?
>
> - System integration:  Is this where selinux is first turned on?

In a successful case I'm aware of, all updates to applications are tested
on a staging system before being rolled out, at which point SELinux is
enabled in permissive mode.  Any AVCs are treated as regressions and the
developers work with sysadmins/security folk to either fix the application
or update the system security policy.

> - War stories, lessons learned... or anything of the sort

It would be great to see something like the above written up as a case
study -- for various reasons, people are not always in an ideal position
to do so.

--
James Morris
<jmorris@xxxxxxxxx>