Life cycle process for building products with selinux

I'm not sure where to ask a question like this but I bet someone on the list will know…

Are there any guidelines or "best practices" for building products with selinux?   (Think network appliances for example.)  I have in mind life cycle tasks such as

- Software development:  Where in the software development cycle do you introduce selinux?  Should application developers have to develop on a system confined by selinux?   Is selinux policy maintenance a software development task, or a separate phase in the development cycle?

- System integration:  Is this where selinux is first turned on?

- QA testing:  should QA testing include selinux-specific penetration testing?  Any guidelines or examples of how this is done?  Any tools?

- Who in the development organization needs selinux expertise?

- Are there services that can certify the MAC rules for the operating system?  For the product application?

- Any selinux-specific guidance for customers who install the protected appliance?

- Impact on the process for upgrades and patches because of selinux.  What not to do… for example, turning off selinux to apply a patch.  How to configure a properly confined user for applying patches.

- Organizational policy to complement a properly designed system (separation of duties; physical security; etc).

- War stories, lessons learned… or anything of the sort

Thanks
Alan