Re: The confusing dot operator

On Apr 14, 2010, at 1:19 AM, Michal Svoboda wrote:

> Stephen Smalley wrote:
>> mcstransd
>
> I tried to use this daemon at first but it appeared to require one
> translation line for each possible combination of the categories and
> even ranges of them. For example, on a particular centos 5 machine I
> have to specify
>
> s0-s0:c0=coreprocess
> s0-s0:c1=webprocess
> s0:c0=core
> s0:c1=web
>
> Actually the same behavior is illustrated by the default
>
> s0-s0:c0.c1023=SystemLow-SystemHigh
> s0:c0.c1023=SystemHigh
>
> confusingly enough, s0 does not equal SystemLow but an empty string.
>
> I recall reading a presentation (IIRC from a symposium proceeding) that
> would suggest an improvement was planned here, but how far has that
> effort progressed?

A version of mcstrans that can associate bits to words and has considerably
more flexibility is in fedora these days.

http://github.com/joenall/mcstrans

There has been some discussion of moving the master to userspace.selinuxproject.org.

> OTOH I somehow feel safer to have the words 'core' and 'web' stored
> directly in the inode of the disk rather than rely on a run time mapping
> from some generic number. (That's why I don't like unix UID/GIDs too
> much either.)

I disagree. I prefer something on the inode with predictable, portable
mathematical meaning. Adding web/code/fu/bar means that the policy on the
object is dependent on yet another config file/policy because you need
to encode the semantic meaning of those words somewhere. The beauty of the
current approach is that the kernel doesn't have to know word semantics
to do range dominance checks.

joe