The confusing dot operator

Hi,

I've been doing some MCS lately and I particularly started disliking the
dot range operator, as in 'c0.c1023'.

It seems to be an underdeveloped way of saying 'all categories' or
perhaps grouping them. I would welcome a 'star' operator that would do
the former and a more intelligent naming mechanism to express the latter
(ie. let's have a facility that can group 'dogs,cats,horses' as 'mammals'
and 'mammals,insects' as 'animals').

It imposes a range where there isn't. The range is in fact dependent on
the exact order of delaration. If you declare 'category c1; category c0;
category c2;' then 'c0.c2' does not include c1. If you use named cats
rather than c0-cN then even this little sense of range goes away.

Finally and most importantly sets of such 'consecutive' categories tend
to get 'range-ized' at numerous places. If a seuser is assigned to have
'dogs,cats,rats' then semanage will tell you he's got 'dogs.rats',
leaving you to figure out what's 'in between'.

What do the list members think about this?

Michal Svoboda