Re: /etc/initscript breaks SELinux

On 05/03/2010 10:32 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 10:29 -0700, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
On 05/03/2010 10:02 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 09:56 -0700, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
On 05/03/2010 09:31 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 21:54 -0700, Justin Mattock wrote:
I've been racking my brain for the last few days on
this one, and seem(for the life of me), have no solution.

at first thought this was opensuse specific, but it's not
i.g. my cblfs systems hit this as well(if not all systems at that).

when adding /etc/initscript somehow SELinux can't figure how to
transistion with the whole SHELL -c thing.

under init.c #800(sysvinit-2.85)
the code is this:

    /* See if there is an "initscript" (except in single user mode). */
     if (access(INITSCRIPT, R_OK) == 0&&    runlevel != 'S') {
	/* Build command line using "initscript" */
	args[1] = SHELL;
	args[2] = INITSCRIPT;
	args[3] = ch->id;
	args[4] = ch->rlevel;
	args[5] = "unknown";
	for(f = 0; actions[f].name; f++) {
		if (ch->action == actions[f].act) {
			args[5] = actions[f].name;
			break;
		}
	}

any ideas why SELinux gets confused with this, and
doesn't want to transistion?

In the above code, you are exec'ing the shell and just passing the
script as an argument, not exec'ing the script.  So you need a domain
transition on the shell rather than the script, or you need to perform a
setexecon() in the code.

Thanks for the info on this..

I'll have a look at seeing how todo this
(I enjoy the challenge).

As an example on setexecon() I was looking
at the sulogin.c patch for SELinux, but still
need to figure out how to actually do this.

Well, you can do it without using setexeccon() just by configuring
policy to domain transition from init_t to initrc_t on shell_exec_t.
That's what happens if you enable init_upstart=on.  So I think it is
mostly just a matter of making that the default and dropping the legacy
transition to sysadm_t for single-user mode.

what/where is that code at in the policy?
(I've looked but can seem to grep the right word).

system/init.te, line 182:
tunable_policy(`init_upstart',`
         corecmd_shell_domtrans(init_t, initrc_t)
',`
         # Run the shell in the sysadm role for single-user mode.
         # causes problems with upstart
         sysadm_shell_domtrans(init_t)
')

ah.. I looked at this(must have bee too tired), and nothing
registered in my head.

As for the dropping the legacy(as mentioned in this post:
http://oss.tresys.com/pipermail/refpolicy/2010-February/002012.html)

Yes, that was the prior discussion.

hm.. I'm thinking this should be as is i.g. if sysvinit can do
the proper things, then that's it(the policy still has legacy,
etc..)

tough to say... right now(as a learning experience) I'll dive into
sysvinit(because I need to get better at reading/writing code),
as well as do the same for the policy.

I'll look into sysv an see if I can make some headway
with it reading initscript properly.

Justin P. Mattock