Re: {SPAM?} Re: Random fork showing up in policy.

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 10:17 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/12/2010 08:07 AM, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 08:37 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> >> There has got to be something I am doing wrong.  But on my blog someone asked about writing a program that does a fork and having SELinux block it.
> >>
> >> Where is the fork access coming from?
> >
> > Are you sure its not this:
> >
> > allow domain self:process { fork sigchld };
> >
> > in domain.te?
[...]
> Yes that is it.
>
> Seems like a strange rule to have on domain.  Might be better to move
> it to daemon rather then have it on domain.

I don't agree.  When we started refpolicy, we added it to domain since
its so pervasive.  Its also minimally security-relevant since the new
process is in the same domain.

I went back to the old example policy, since that had the explicit fork
permissions, and found that 228 of the 275 domains had the fork
permission.  I saw plenty of non-daemon domains that can fork.

Basically, refpolicy took the convenience trade-off, and its taken
almost 5 years for someone to take issue with this.  I'm still
comfortable with this decision.

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC