assigning context to disk on Debian/Lenny

On a Debian/Lenny system with the latest updates running kernel
2.6.26-2-xen-686 with the Ext3 filesystem I have discovered a problem with
assigning the context to files.

If I create a file with "cat /dev/zero > /tmp/foo" then the file on disk
doesn't seem to get it's label written before umount.  So I can create the
file, run "sync" a couple of times, then mount an LVM snapshot of the
filesystem and discover it labelled as file_t.  Or if I reboot the system (EG
by triggering a watchdog timer) then the system will boot up with the file
unlabelled.

So someone who can fill a filesystem and trigger then a reboot (through a
watchdog timer or through a DoS attack that causes someone to press reset)
can cause an unlabelled file to appear.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog