Re: RPM support for SELinux

Jeff Johnson wrote:

On Oct 22, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:

Jeff Johnson wrote:

On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Chad Sellers wrote:

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've submitted a patchset
to add
more robust SELinux support to RPM4. You can view the patchset here:

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2009-October/002561.html

Note that these patches require running on the current trunk of
libselinux
and libsemanage.

If you're interested in trying out the support or just looking at
how it
works, we've put up a wiki page talking about it here:

http://selinuxproject.org/page/RPM

Comments are welcome.

Just a short reply:

The patches will never be included @rpm5.org as is because
you missed the abstraction (for packaging) and haven't tied
various stray identifiers as in
Type: mls targeted

These should never be "concrete" in RPM. These are identifiers that
are created on end systems and forcing a specific set of them is a
good way to make sure custom solutions won't use this feature in RPM.

The bz2 blobs need to be verifiable even if opaque.

And the tagging (which you've chosen to add to *.rpm) needs
to be verifiable as being accurate, however that is arranged.

The fundamental design flaw is that you are choosing to distribute
security sensitive policy tagging without any visible means (other than
what
is provided by bzip2) that the blob's are, in fact, what they are supposed
to be.

The claimed purpose of this patch set (by you) is so that rpm can be
labeled
as "untrusted". I haven't any problem whatsoever with RPM being labeled
"untrusted". Just that you cannot send "trusted" data through an
"untrusted"
channel without any means of verification and expect anything other than
Sh*t happens.

That is not the purpose of this patchset, and it was never claimed to be the purpose of this patchset.

The purpose of this patchset is to start integrating policy support into RPM, and for RPM to remain completely trusted. I did say that we have an ultimate goal of breaking RPM up into pieces so we could remove trust from the main parts, and to eventually be able to run RPM in different security domains depending on different aspects of the RPM (where it came from, who signed it, who is running RPM, etc) but that is not something this patch set can accomplish and indeed is a long term goal.

We can't very well go off for a long time and come back with a patchset that completely changes the architecture of RPM, we are doing this development in the open and therefore each individual patch set along the way brings us closer, it doesn't completely solve the problem.