From: Daniel J Walsh [mailto:dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:14 AM
To: Joshua Brindle
Cc: Anamitra Dutta Majumdar (anmajumd); SE Linux
Subject: Re: Adding AV assertion to selinux policy in RHEL5

On 08/26/2009 12:09 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:
Daniel J Walsh wrote:
On 08/25/2009 06:43 PM, Anamitra Dutta Majumdar (anmajumd) wrote:

We are looking for a well documented procedure to add AV assertion
to selinux policy on RHEL5.
So far all SELinux URL links refer to the fact that the AV assertion

needs to be added to assert.te file under $SELINUX_SRC folder.
This appears to be true only for RHEL4 not RHEL5 since there is no
src folder under /etc/selinux/targeted that contains the source
policies in RHEL5.
We have installed and built the selinux-policy-2.4.6-248.el5.src.rpm

on our RHEL5.4 box and we did not find any assert.te file.
Can someone help us with the exact method as to what needs to be
done to add an AV assertion rule to our policy.

Thanks
Anamitra&   Radha

questions like this should be asked on the
SELinux<selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Mail List.

I am not sure what you are asking for.

assert.te was the old place for neverallow rules in the example
policy.
In the reference policy neverallows are put in their appropriate place

(you could grep for them in the source policy if you want to see).

However, with RHEL5 and greater distros you can just insert policy
modules to add rules (including assertions). So just follow the RHEL5
instructions on adding a policy and you can add neverallows there.

You also need to enable assertion checking by adding this line to
/etc/selinux/semanage.conf

expand-check = 1

quotes as the message.

Right but I am not sure they want a neverallow rule.

I still would like to have them explain what they want for assertions.
Are they just looking to make sure that no one loads a policy module
that allows a certain rule?  If yes then Josh is correct.
If they are looking to remove some access from a domain, like a DENY
rule, then assertions will not do it, other then getting the policy
build to blow up (if expand-check is turnedon)