Re: Adding AV assertion to selinux policy in RHEL5

On 08/26/2009 12:09 PM, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>> On 08/25/2009 06:43 PM, Anamitra Dutta Majumdar (anmajumd) wrote:
>>>

>>> We are looking for a well documented procedure to add AV assertion to
>>> selinux policy on RHEL5.
>>> So far all SELinux URL links refer to the fact that the AV assertion
>>> needs to be added to assert.te file under $SELINUX_SRC folder.
>>> This appears to be true only for RHEL4 not RHEL5 since there is no src
>>> folder under /etc/selinux/targeted that contains the source policies in
>>> RHEL5.
>>> We have installed and built the selinux-policy-2.4.6-248.el5.src.rpm on
>>> our RHEL5.4 box and we did not find any assert.te file.
>>> Can someone help us with the exact method as to what needs to be done to
>>> add an AV assertion rule to our policy.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Anamitra&  Radha
>>>
>>> --
>> questions like this should be asked on the
>> SELinux<selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  Mail List.
>>
>> I am not sure what you are asking for.
>

> assert.te was the old place for neverallow rules in the example policy.
> In the reference policy neverallows are put in their appropriate place
> (you could grep for them in the source policy if you want to see).
>
> However, with RHEL5 and greater distros you can just insert policy
> modules to add rules (including assertions). So just follow the RHEL5
> instructions on adding a policy and you can add neverallows there.
>
> You also need to enable assertion checking by adding this line to
> /etc/selinux/semanage.conf
>
> expand-check = 1
>

> --

Right but I am not sure they want a neverallow rule.

I still would like to have them explain what they want for assertions.  Are they just looking to
make sure that no one loads a policy module that allows a certain rule?  If yes then Josh is correct.
If they are looking to remove some access from a domain, like a DENY rule, then assertions will not do it, other then getting
the policy build to blow up (if expand-check is turnedon)