Re: checking user status

On 08/17/2009 10:54 AM, Larry Ross wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Larry Ross <selinux.larry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  Stephen,
>> Thank you for your response.
>>

>>> Did you allow the :passwd permission to the custom selinux user's
>>> domain?
>>

>>> allow <userdomain> self:passwd { passwd };
>>

>>  I would have if I had know about it, is this documented somewhere?.
>>
>> That worked for "passwd -S", is there something similar to allow a user to
>> use the chage command?
>>

> Stephen,
>   Sorry for the off list reply.  I think I found it: "rootok".  It works,
> but I'm not sure what it means.  Could you explain what the rootok
> permission means?  Is it intended for this use?
>
>   Thank you,
>   Larry
>

>>    Thank you,
>>    Larry
>>

>>> --
>>> Stephen Smalley
>>> National Security Agency

rootok is a check within the password command to see if the administrator who is running the password command override password accounts other then its own.

The idea is to stop applications that are running as root, from changing password data without providing the old password.
If the type does not have rootok, the password utility will ask for a password before changing any password data.

This prevents a confined administrator from becoming root and changing the root other other passwords.