Re: request for review of, and collaboration on SELinux models wiki entry

hello,

from http://selinuxproject.org/page/SELinux_models (Multi Category Security):

[...] Multi Category Security and Multi Level Security are mutually exclusive.

- MCS and MLS are just particular configurations of constraints for the
MLS engine and thus share the same field and engine logic.  MCS was an
attempt to make the MLS field and engine useful for general users, and
is being leveraged by sandbox and by svirt for separating multiple
instances of sandboxes or guest VMs.

In other words: MCS and MLS are not mutally exclusiv?! Not in SELinux and not in gernal? For me, MCS in SELinux is an "extra", which you can use with MLS (or MLS engine) at the same time. Please correct me, if i'm wrong.

Imho, MCS uses "compartments" or categories to realize the need to know principle and MLS uses vertical levels to achieve (at least in SELinux) confidentiality (BLP model). Imo compartments and levels are not mutally exclusive.

--
Sebastian Pfaff