Re: request for review of, and collaboration on SELinux models wiki entry

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 15:40 +0200, Dominick Grift wrote:
> Recently
> http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/policy2/x86.shtml came
> to my attention and i noticed that this article does not reflect the
> current available SELinux models. Also the descriptions seem a bit
> technical to me.
>
> Today i decided to make a new introduction to SELinux models with MCS,
> MLS and UBAC included for the selinuxproject Wiki. The attempt was to
> keep it as easy to read for humans as possible.
>
> I am sure that my entry has mistakes and could use improvements,
> therefore i ask you to review the entry and submit any improvements.
>
> You can also send suggestions directly to me.
>
> http://selinuxproject.org/page/SELinux_models
>
> Once we feel comfortable with the content we can add a link on the User
> Resource front page.

- Security contexts are assigned to more than just processes and files.

- MLS/MCS has a single attribute, the MLS/MCS range, which has the
syntax:
lowsensitivity[:lowcategory,...][-highsensitivity[:highcategory,...]]

This is a pair of levels (which in the degenerate case where low==high
is displayed as a single level for conciseness) where each level
consists of a sensitivity value and a category set.

- The motivation of UBAC (which started as rbacsep) was to eliminate the
need for per-role derived domains for programs and derived types for
files.  It isn't really its own distinct model per se, just a particular
configuration of constraints based on SELinux user identity.

- MCS and MLS are just particular configurations of constraints for the
MLS engine and thus share the same field and engine logic.  MCS was an
attempt to make the MLS field and engine useful for general users, and
is being leveraged by sandbox and by svirt for separating multiple
instances of sandboxes or guest VMs.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency