Re: The problem with TUN/TAP devices

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 11:06:51 am Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 11:01 -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Stephen Smalley<sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 17:34 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be a bug if they didn't match?  So I'd add the sk_alloc()
> > > hook, set the label/SID for the sock there, and remove the setting of
> > > the sock label/SID from post_create.  And then just add a BUG_ON to
> > > post_create to assert that the inode SID should be the same as the sock
> > > SID and if they don't match something has gone wrong.
> >
> > I've got a system all set up to test anything you want/have/need....
> > Maybe this afternoon I'll even give this suggestion a try just to see
> > what happens, the networking hooks are ummmm, special?
>
> Wait - we already have a sk_alloc_security hook.

Yep, this is where we would set the sock's label/SID.

> And IIRC, we don't set the SID/label there because that can happen when a
> new connection sock is created, and thus outside of process context.

This gets back to my original comments about "ugliness".  New incoming
connection sockets should get labeled correctly before use through the
inet_conn_request() and inet_csk_clone() hooks.  While admittedly, there is
the potential for the sock to be labeled incorrectly immediately after
allocation, but this is not very different from what we have today (sock is
initially labeled with unlabeled_t).

I'll put something together and post an RFC this afternoon, the patch should
be relatively small.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp