The problem with TUN/TAP devices

Unfortunately we have a problem with the network access controls and TUN/TAP
devices.  The basic issue is that packets entering the stack via a TUN device,
e.g. QEMU/KVM guest instance operating with a bridged network configuration,
do not have a fully initialized sock associated with them.  I say "fully
initialized" because the basic initialization has been done (memory allocated,
initial values set to SECINITSID_UNLABELED, etc.) but the last step where we
assign the sock a label/SID never happens.  Why?  Because the TUN driver code
only calls sk_alloc() and nothing else in the TUN code paths finish the
SELinux sock setup.

Okay, so what?  Well, the problem is that the SELinux IP postrouting code
treats the packet's sock label (the one that is still set as unlabeled_t in
the TUN case) as the originating peer label; in short it looks like packets
sent from your QEMU/KVM instance are unlabeled_t instead of my_guest_t:s3.
Needless to say this is not ideal.

So how do we fix it?  Well, there are a two options that I can think of right
now (feel free to add to the list):

1. Set the sock's label/SID in sk_alloc()
2. Introduce a new hook to set the label/SID of a sock and call it from
   tun_set_iff()

The problem with #2 is that it introduces a new (basically TUN specific) hook
to do something silly.  Important, but still kinda silly.  The problem with #1
is that we currently set the sock's label/SID in selinux_socket_post_create()
and match it with the inode's label/SID which has the potential to get ugly (I
haven't verified all of those cases yet).  However, there may be an
alternative, call it #1a, where set label the sock in sk_alloc() and then use
the sock's label to set the inode's label in socket_post_create(); this should
solve the potential ugliness.

Thoughts?

There is also a somewhat related issue involving persistent TUN/TAP devices
but I'd like to resolve this before getting deeper into that problem.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp