Re: RBAC with SELinux MCS

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 11:15 +0600, Shaz wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was studying some earlier work on RBAC and came across Kuhn98 [1],
> which says that RBAC can be implemented if some interface function is
> used to map privilege sets of RBAC with MCS. James Moris blog article
> on MCS [2] states that MCS is just dicretionary like DAC if
> hierarchies like of MLS levels are not used. It might be because of
> the implementation of current LSPP on Linux distros. So my question is
> that can RBAC be used with SELinux if the mapping function is
> provided?
>
> Some further literature or existing work being pointed out will be
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> [1]
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/documents/design_implementation/kuhn-98.pdf
> [2] http://james-morris.livejournal.com/5583.html

SELinux implements its own RBAC model, described here:
http://www.nsa.gov/research/_files/selinux/papers/policy2/x86.shtml

By coupling RBAC with TE (which is a mandatory scheme), we can directly
bind roles to processes and enforce RBAC restrictions at the operating
system level.  We also address some of the limitations of traditional
RBAC through TE.

RBAC and MCS don't have anything to do with each other.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency