Re: Policy loading problem

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 21:46 +0800, Dennis Wronka wrote:
> I have actually tried both.
> The way it's usually done is through a patched init, which used to work some
> time ago (I don't remember which version of the kernel, the policy and the
> SELinux-tools/-libraries I used then, as everything always is being updated
> and I worked on a lot of other stuff in between).
> I also tried the approach Fedora uses, pretty much taking apart their initrd
> and reimplementing the load_policy-command from nash into a seperate program
> as I had trouble compiling nash). I got it partially working later, but not in
> the way I used to do it and not the way it's supposed to be.
>
> So, as said, the it's supposed to be is a patched init, although I could live
> with doing it in my initramfs (I use that instead of an initrd, but it's
> basically the same anyway).
>
> Still I find it quite confusing that the policy gets loaded when I set SELinux
> to enforcing, but not when I set it to permissive.

You didn't post your initial policy loading logic like I asked.  I agree
that there is no reason why it shouldn't get loaded when permissive, and
I don't see that behavior in Fedora, so I have to assume there is a bug
in the way you've integrated initial policy load in your distribution.

So, once again:  if you want help, show us how you are performing your
initial policy load (the actual code).

Also, if you boot permissive and then manually run load_policy, does
that work?  If so, then that even more strongly indicates a bug in how
you've integrated initial policy load in your distro.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency