Re: policy as configuration data

On 05/06/2009 11:07 AM, Joshua Brindle wrote:
Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 17:03 -0400, Caleb Case wrote:
We've been looking into a couple of improvements to the SELinux
infrastructure. One of the options we are looking at is treating policy
as configuration data. We've found a couple of sticking points though.

First, removing a set of trusted tools (running in domains only able to
access files of appropriate types) from the policy modification process
makes it more difficult to control the flow of low integrity data into
the policy.

Policy as configuration data does not imply that you have to let users
directly modify the config files without using a tool (which is useful
for general integrity and transactional behavior, not just security).
passwd data is config data, yet you are supposed to edit it via vipw and
tools like useradd.

How do you define config data? Is the current module store considered
config data? I can't think of a definition that doesn't either include
every file on the system or exclude things like passwd, shadow, etc.

I think from a users perspective config data means they can drop a file
somewhere, restart a service and the additional config is active (apply
the same to modifying a file).

Also, how can we also support policy access control? For example, how do
we determine who changed the policy if multiple people can edit the
policy files? How do we handle simultaneous edits? What about
transactions?

Again, policy as config data doesn't seem to preclude having a tool
mediate the changes.

If a tool is required then how is it better than what we have now?

Well at least humans could read the policy.
It's unclear if this is important since part of the goal here is to
simplify and improve the SELinux experience.

Using a trusted set to tools has its advantages and doesn't necessarily
preclude the use of a text based policy. A tool that could give the user
a text module back for modification and accept a text module as input
may be sufficient but doesn't exactly fit into how configuration data
typically works.

We are looking for input on whether having an uncontrolled conf.d style
policy directory that is admin-modifiable without the need for tools is
a high priority for people or if the disadvantages outweigh the desire
to edit files directly.

Questions/comments/rants/flames welcome.

Caleb