Re: Policy infrastructure problems and improvement

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 09:51 -0500, Joe Nall wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:34 AM, James Carter wrote:

> >> I will throw my traditional comment on the pile as I didn't see that
> >> you had it on your list anywhere. The policy required to describe a
> >> system is too large.
> >>

> > That's easy to fix.  Make the system smaller. ;)
> >
> > I think that this would fit under complexity of SElinux policies.
> >
> > Again, better layering is needed.  It would be nice if I could just
> > write policy for the particular domains and resources that I cared
> > about
> > without having to worry about the policy for the rest of the system.
> > Unfortunately, policy writing differs from program writing in that
> > while
> > different programs that run on a system *share* resources and so it
> > doesn't matter what the other programs do (for the most part) as
> > long as
> > my program gets to use those resources at some point, all of the
> > policies work together to *control* resources.  In the end, you must
> > have one policy.  The question is how to write the policies in a more
> > layered way and have the policy infrastructure merge the layers
> > together.
>
> audit2allow needs to understand your layers of abstraction or they
> won't be very useful. I've watched a number of developers in our group
> stall at the audit2allow policy writing level and never really get the
> need to understand the system macros and the 'why' of it all.

Yes, it is desirable to have denials mapped back to the higher-level
language or layer that is being used, rather than to have to work with
the raw, low-level information.  Not any easy problem to solve, though.

> Some of these same developers never get that some avcs are inevitable
> and blithely grant privilege until they don't have any avcs - granting
> user_t enormous new privs along the way. We use seinfo to look for
> attribute diffs and source inspection, but we need better command line
> tools to look for these issues in an automated way.

One goal is to make it easier to hook tools into the policy toolchain.

> If Chris and Dan maintained and distributed policy as modules and not
> as monolithic entities, the impetus and understanding to improve the
> tool chain would be much stronger.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here.  Do you mean that if
Chris and Dan only maintained a part of the policy, while others
maintained the rest, the difficulty in putting all the parts together
would provide strong motivation to improve the toolchain?  That may be
true, but it would make for a miserable existence for Chris and Dan.