Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:44:30PM -0400, Russ Housley wrote:
> I really do not have time to write about all of my
> concerns.  However, once you get beyond the basic classifications,
> the SPIF model breaks.  They are markings that are only to be known
> to people that have the clearance for those markings, this leads to a
> SPIF distribution nightmare, as a subset of the real SPIF must be
> given out based on access (or not) to various compartments and
> such.  It just does not scale.

I'm aware of the fact that labels can themselves be labeled.  But I
don't think that implies that we can't make a SPIF-like solution scale.

Peers that have access to different subsets of the policy should still
be able to interop if care is taken to specify what happens when a node
sees a label that falls outside its policy subset, and provided, of
course, that the peers can agree that they have subsets of the *same*
master policy.  Peers can check whether they do have subsets of the
*same* master policy by exchanging [for each DOI to both] a master
policy URI that includes a version number.

Nico