Re: [saag] Common labeled security (comment on CALIPSO, labeled NFSv4)

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 11:22:38AM -0400, Santosh Chokhani wrote:
> As part of MISSI and DMS, in mid to late 90's we did work on something
> called Security Policy Information File (SPIF).

Oh, very nice!  Thanks for the pointer.  That would be ISO15816.  I've
found the spec, though it's non-free (hadn't they learned the lesson
with ASN.1??  will they ever learn it??).

> At high level SPIF entailed the following:
>
> 1.  It was ASN.1 based.

Not surprisingly :)  Converting that to XML is probably the correct
first step in order to ensure adoption, sadly.  (Actually, apparently
that has already been done once, though outside the ISO/ITU-T.)

> 2.  It permitted you to convert the machine representation to human
> readable representation.
> 3.  It permitted you to convert the human readable input to machine
> representation.
> 4.  It mapped labels (hierarchical sensitivity levels and
> non-hierarchical categories) from one labeling policy to another (i.e.,
> establish equivalency mapping)
> 5.  It allowed you to constrain labels since for some policies,
> existence of a category may mean some categories, levels, may be
> included and/or excluded.
>
> Different labeling policies were indicated by different policy OID.
>
> Some of the concept from that work may be applicable here.

I think so!  Except for the part about this spec being non-free.  I
think that means: start over in the IETF.

Nico