Re: [nfsv4] [Labeled-nfs] New MAC label support Internet Draft posted to IETF website

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:30:25AM -0700, Jarrett Lu wrote:
> On 03/30/09 10:37, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> >I'm not sure if this conflicts with what you are saying, but the DOI
> >should merely identify the (externally) agreed-upon network label space
> >for the data to be shared between the communicating systems.  [...]

Right now that's the best we can do, and CALIPSO does nothing to improve
this situation.

> As Casey and others pointed out, a lot more information about a
> communicating peer is needed in order to be able to translate a label
> and other security attributes. People have tried this in 90's.
> Apparently the solution is no longer in use today. Maybe we can do
> something better 15 years later. The first step is to figure out how
> much information is needed and then look into how to get this info
> across securely. GSS_SEC may be able to help us. To make NFSv4 work,
> only TCP is needed. So peer information is needed per session vs. per
> packet, I believe. Evidently, there is more work to do in figuring this
> all out.

I believe that certificate extensions and Kerberos V authorization-data
could be used to ensure that the client and server both know the correct
"label encodings" for their shared DOIs.

To specify such a thing would be easy: allocate cert ext OID (for PKIX
certs) and authz-data ID (for Kebreros V) and specify the contents of
the extension, which could be the DER encoding of:

	DOI-SPEC ::= SEQUENCE {
		doi INTEGER (0..MAX),
		label-encodings-uri UTF8STRING -- contraint: MUST be a URI
	}

	DOI-SPECS ::= SEQUENCE SIZE (1..MAX) OF DOI-SPEC;

I.e., a sequence of {DOI number, label encodings URI}.

Then define the format of the document referenced by the label encodings
URI.  That format should cover MLS and DTE DOI types.

Nico